Saturday 1 June 2013

Make-Up Bags - Lessons Learnt


This is something I never made in my life before and if someone told me that I would be sewing make-up bags from scratch without a pattern (!), I would not believe that at all. Never! But now, after the bags are finished, the process seems easy enough and a lot of fun as well.


The first make-up bag I made was the one with buzzy bees. I used fusible heavy weight interfacing and was not very happy with the result. No wonder I did not like the look of it. As you can see, applying heavy weight interfacing to thin cotton (mauve) made it look like it was glued to a piece of cardboard. There are too many wrinkles on the flap of the bag and it looks very stiff. Lesson number 1 - never use heavy weight interfacing with light fabric. Find the right balance between the two, ideally the interfacing should be of the same weight or slightly lighter than the fabric you are using for the body.


The pale blue with white polka dot make-up bag is a bit smaller in size and it's soft compare to the first one. I used 100% Bamboo Batting this time around but again I made a mistake, I used a thin soft cotton for the body. Lesson number 2 - use medium weight cotton or linen for make-up bags.


I am in love with running stitch in bright contrasting colours. It gives a lovely finishing touch for the product and points out that it's handmade. I covered a button with the same cotton I used for the lining and stitched it on the flap.


Even though there were quite a few mistakes on the way, I still like the bags. I am happy with the pattern I made and going to use it again some time soon. But I really have to remember the two things I learnt - interfacing and fabric. Have you ever made any make-up bags?

No comments:

Post a Comment