Friday 23 May 2014

Berry Picking and Cookie Baking

I was busy yesterday cookie baking and strawberry "picking". These sweet berries just kept popping out of my sewing machine and my hands one after another. So cute and so addictive!


It all started with a bento bag I was sewing. I am going to show it to you vey soon. When I cut the corners off to make a square bottom, I was going to turn these little corners into pretty ends for the cord as I always do. Something happened at that moment and I saw a teeny weeny strawberry hiding in that corner.

So after some fun hard work, I managed to pick a box full of fresh, sweet and delicious strawberries. They are absolutely great as a small hanging ornament or a little brooch, or maybe a hair clip. Really, anything you attach these strawberries to is going to look 100 times better. The smallest berry is the size of a thimble. Cute!


Oh, baking, almost forgot. These are Rock Cakes. Very quick and easy to bake cookies but they are really delicious and they go so nice with a cup of tea. Especially after such a breezy busy day. I thought I would leave the recipe (that I was given by someone a long time ago) for you here, just in case you feel like something sweet.


ROCK CAKES

2 cups self raising flour, sifted
2/3 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 cup sultanas
125g butter, melted
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-4 tablespoons milk (if required)

1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
2. Combine flour, sugar and sultanas in a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add butter, eggs and vanilla. Stir gently to combine (mixture should be slightly sticky). Add milk if the flour does not combine.
3. Drop heaped spoon (I use 1 1/2 teaspoons) of mixture onto trays, allowing room for spreading. Bake for 12-20 minutes or until light golden and firm to touch.
4. Stand on trays for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire rack. Serve warm or cold with milk, tea or coffee.

Bon appétit! Larisa xo

4 comments:

  1. love the strawberries; the fabric is so pretty!!! thanks for the recipe. I will need to look up and see what type of sugar it calls for...i haven't heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am totally in love with this print! Caster sugar is just a very fine sugar really but not the same as powdered sugar. I usually use whatever sugar I have at hand. Happy baking (if you do some)!

      Delete
  2. Your strawberries look good enough to eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am addicted! Can't stop "picking" berries. :-)

      Delete