Friday 19 September 2014

Lunch Box Straps

I have to admit - I like lunch boxes. Especially Japanese ones, that are colourful, have a few small compartments and are cute. Usually they are secured with an elastic strap or belt that doesn't come with the boxes.


Well, I decided to make my own. These elastic straps are so quick and easy to make and turn an ordinary looking strap into something attractive. Even my Not So Little Boy shyly asked if I could make one for him. That's precious! I couldn't resist. I made him a pear as per his request. He himself went through my stash and chose the fabrics for the pear. A running stitch around the edge to finish the pear off.


The apple took almost no time at all to finish, thanks to the quick free motion quilting. It's my personal favourite. I really like the combination of red and green, and the messiness of the stitching.


Mushroom was a bit tricky to make, I fiddled a while with the blanket stitch where it had to run on top of the elastic. Blanket stitch was one of the first stitches I ever learnt and I never liked it, it looked too childlike and not neat enough for me. But now I truly enjoy the effect it gives to the raw edges.


I wish I had some colourful elastic for these straps. I even went to the local haberdashery store but they had nothing I was looking for. So I had no choice but to use this plain white elastic in three different widths that I had at hand. Oh, and should I mention that I used some of the fabric scraps again?


An easy project that can be finished in less than half an hour. I enjoy making something small and easy but useful at the same time. Have a wonderful weekend! Larisa xox

9 comments:

  1. I think your not so little boy will be as creative as you! These are so lovely and the idea could be so well adapted to other things.I used to love blanket stitch but probable haven't done any for more years than I care to remember

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carole! You are right, so many things can be done using this type of applique and stitching. A hair bend pops in to my head right away or a tea towel. It's interesting how we enjoy using some techniques and then completely forget about them.

      Delete
  2. so cute Larissa, cuter than anything that could be bought at the store!! you chose such cue shapes to make!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gina! They are quite cute. I love mushrooms and apples, but the pear was my boy's suggestion. :-)

      Delete
    2. You apple applique, Gina, would look so cute on something like that. I might borrow your design if you don't mind. :-)

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea! My daughter lost the band for her lunch box and I'm ashamed to say it didn't occur to me to make one ☺️I love the mushroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate! You can make one with your fine embroidery, it would look really cute, for a girl the possibilities are endless. I have to say, we used a plain rubber bend for quite a while before this idea came to my mind. :-)

      Delete
  4. These are so sweet! I bought some bright, colourful elastic at The Remnant Warehouse, 494 Botany Road, Alexandria - might be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Dina! I had no idea about this store. I already checked out the selection of elastics they have - that's exactly what I was looking for! I need to find some time to go there. I am excited now. :-)

      Delete