Sunday 1 May 2016

The Splendid Sampler: Blocks No.9 - No.12

"Local Quilt Shop" block No.9 designed by Jane Davidson. I had to modify this block just a little bit so I could fit the "Fabric" sign right in. It was such a fun block to sew! It did not take any time for me to pull the right fabrics for this block, I knew exactly what I was going to use.


Block No.10 "Lowa" was designed by Sherri McConnell. It is a very beautiful block that was a pleasure to sew and it has a lovely story behind it. I can see a whole quilt made with just one "Lowa" block in different colours.


OK, the next one is my first real struggle. Block No. 11 "Crocheted Thoughts" by Alyssa Thomas. It's a very pretty and delicate block that I failed. I enjoyed putting together the scraps, stitching it all together and felt very enthusiastic about the embroidery, but after a number of attempts, I gave up. I was afraid to make holes in the middle of the block with my seam ripper. I put this block aside and I will finish it later. I might give the embroidery one more go with a different type of embroidery thread or I will simply attach an old doily to it.


Block No.12 "Checkerboard" by Pat Sloan. When I saw a picture of this block, I panicked. So many tiny pieces! But it turned out to be so quick and easy to sew following Pat's instructions. This block was all about efficiency - measure, cut, sew a few pieces in one go, cut and sew again. Easy-peasy!


I am so behind on The Splendid Sampler project. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by the number and the complexity of the blocks I have to sew now, but I am trying to stay calm and keep reminding myself that I can catch up later, when I have more time. I have to focus on the positive side of this journey and be happy with what I have made so far. To be honest with you, I am already quite impressed by the number of the blocks I have made, so it's all good. Have a great day and stay positive! Larisa xox

4 comments:

  1. You are doing great Larissa, I don't know how anyone finds the time to keep up wi all the blocks! The key seems to be to print all the patterns as they are released and do what you fancy. Your work is wonderful as ever, live your colour ways.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Carole! I start questioning that too now. Even thought it's only two blocks per week (seems like nothing really), I find it too much at the moment. That's exactly what I am doing - printing the patterns and hoping to sew the blocks when I get more time.

      Delete
  2. Your blocks are lovely, Larisa. Don't panic, just work through the blocks as and when you ar able.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Dina, for your support! That's what I am trying to do. It's all about having fun, right? I should remember that. :-)

      Delete