Wednesday 26 October 2016

Molly Pincushion

How many pincushions do you have? Do you always use the same one or a few for different things you make? I remember my Grandma's pincushion (for some odd reason I remember only one, I am sure she had more) that used to hang behind a kitchen door along with some scissors and other tools. It always was there so anyone who needed a needle or a pin for some quick work could find it right away instead of looking inside Grandma's large sewing machine cabinet/table.


It really looked like a cushion with a cross-stitch pattern all over the top in black, red and pink. The back side was made with Grandpa's old stripy shirt. I always wanted to use this cushion for my little dolls, but I knew that it was not meant to be used that way so I just kept looking at it and fiddling with it from time to time. The pincushion was quite worn out by the time I could pay any attention to it and even had small tears here and there, but it was too special to be thrown out. I still want to make myself a pincushion like that, not with the same pattern because I do not remember it well enough, but something similar, with a handmade loop for hanging it.

Well, I on the other hand have many different pincushions and I like to swap them, use them for different projects or keep some for pure pleasure as decorations on my shelves. Molly is the latest pincushion I have made. The pattern has been created by a very talented Lauren of Molly and Mama who is amazing at sewing with felt. Her creations are always unique, delicate and pretty. This pincushion is a pleasure to sew, the instructions are clear and so beautifully presented. This pincushion sits proudly on one of my shelves and makes me smile every time I look at it.


The little mat above I made for a private swap with a very talented girl from Poland. She is amazing at crafting with paper, something I am not good at. We arranged a swap of a few small things that we both like. It's a very simple mat with a reverse applique, a bit of hand embroidery and hand quilting. I just love this little cupcake piece and all the pretty petals around it!

I went through my craft books and magazines, checked a few crafty blogs and I think I found the pattern I would like to use for my new pincushion. I am going to put it on my To-Do list and when the time is right, I will stitch it and hang it in my sewing nook. As for now, I am working on a few interesting projects that I cannot wait to show you. Have a wonderful weekend! Larisa xox

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading your childhood memories, Larisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was a better story teller, Dina. All the lovely memories are coming back to me now as I am enjoying my sewing adventures. :-) Thank you so much for visiting! xox

      Delete
  2. I recognized the designer :) I like her work,and foxy faced pincushies...
    Me I've been reluctant to actually make pincushion for myself for a long time, in spite of collecting many inspiring photos and tutorials... It didn't seem that necessary, and i could never decide *which* fabric, *which* technique... I always found where to stick the needles...I've lost quite a few,but still was 'lazy'... This year, however I managed to finally make one practical quick and cute thing. - I've been working on colourful crochet granny squares inspired by H. Philipps mini cushions... I needed 4 for each side,and somehow I got extra few, which eventually made this small pincushion I see on my table even as I type this :) It has a simple white insertion (a little pillow) which won't show signs of use as it is hidden under the yarn...which is what I Like
    Yes, after years of crafting one actually manages to make something for oneself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lauren is quite well known for her designs that always are so fun. :-) Looking back, I didn't even have a pincushion until I started my sewing adventure. I like making them now because they are so quick and easy to make and sometimes are great to try a new technique or use some lovely scraps that otherwise would be throw away. I realised that I like to have a pincushion for pins and a pincushion for needles while I am sewing. I have no idea why, but I don't like mixing the two. A pincushion with a granny square would look lovely, I am sure and Helen Philipps is wonderful, she is full of interesting ideas and her blog always has lovely photos. I think I might do just that now...visit her blog for some prettiness. Thanks, Lily! :-)

      Delete
    2. thank You :)
      I'm reading Helen's new post right now! in between checking on Pinterest and news from you... multitasking...
      Must make something toadstool-y this year! :o)

      Delete